Cassius Hueffer

THEY have chiseled on my stone the words: 
“His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed in him 
That nature might stand up and say to all the world, 
This was a man.” 
Those who knew me smile        
As they read this empty rhetoric. 
  
My epitaph should have been: 
“Life was not gentle to him, 
And the elements so mixed in him 
That he made warfare on life, 
In the which he was slain.” 
While I lived I could not cope with slanderous tongues, 
Now that I am dead I must submit to an epitaph 
Graven by a fool!          
           
“En mi losa grabaron las palabras:/ ‘Su vida fue apacible, y los elementos se combinaron en él de forma tal/ que la naturaleza podría alzarse y decir al mundo entero:/ este fue un hombre’./ Los que me conocieron sonríen/ al leer esta retórica vacía./ Mi epitafio debió ser:/ ‘La vida no fue benévola con él/ y los elementos se combinaron en él de forma tal/ que le hizo la guerra/ y en ella fue muerto’./ ¡En vida no me pude defender de las lenguas oprobiosas,/ y ahora que estoy muerto debo someterme a un epitafio/ grabado por un tonto!”.

Edgar Lee Masters

Comentarios

Entradas populares